The Ryukyu Green snake (Cyclophiops semicaricartus) is a non-venomous snake found throughout the Ryukyu Islands. They are fairly common here on Okinawa. I often find them in the Yanbaru forest. They are harmless and pose no threat to your safety.
- Scientific name: Cyclophiops semicaricartus
- Local name: Ryukyu Ao Hebi - Ryukyu Green snake
- Distribution: Ryukyu Islands
- Habitat: Forests and grasslands
- Diet: Earth worms
- Average size: 60cm -80cm
- Color: Olive green with a yellow belly
There’s a snake on my snake boot! I highly recommend wearing snake boots while herping in northern Okinawa. Check out my post on venomous snakes of Okinawa for more info.
A juvenile Ryukyu green snake interested in the Canon 100mm 2.8 lens.
The snakes are sometimes found crossing the road a night.
The Ryukyu Green snake feeds on earth worms, no need to kill it.
Have a great day – Shawn Miller