The Ryukyu flying fox is the largest bat found throughout the Ryukyu Islands. This large bat often startles people on night walks. No need to worry, it is not a threat to humans. This large fruit bat feeds on fruit, seeds and nectar. It is currently listed as vulnerable on the IUCN list of Threatened species.
- Scientific name: Pteropus dasymallus
- Common name: Ryukyu flying fox and fruit bat
- Distribution: Ryukyu Islands
- Habitat: Dense forests and neighborhood parks
- Diet: Fruit, seeds and nectar
- Average size: 300-350mm
- Color: Brown and orange
These large fruit bats are nocturnal and feed during the night.
They can also be found during the day hiding high up in trees.
On rare occasions they can be found feeding on the cherry blossoms in daylight.
A mother and young found in a secluded part of the Yanbaru forest.
Have a great day!