The Ornate narrow-mouth frog (Microhyla ornata) is found throughout the Ryukyu Islands. It is one of the smallest frogs found on Okinawa. It can be extremely hard to find due to its small size.
- Scientific name: Microhyla ornata
- Common name: Ornate narrow mouth frog, ant frog and ornate pygmy frog
- Distribution: Ryukyu Islands
- Habitat: Forests, mountain slopes, drainage ditches and farm fields.
- Diet: Ants, termites and small insects
- Average size: 15mm-25mm
- Color: brown
I have found this beautiful frog in the Yanbaru forest, local parks, drainage ditches and even common walking trails in central Okinawa.
This small frog is a master of camouflage. I often find it on rocks, plants and leaves during my night walks.
Photographed on a white portable studio for the Meet your neighbours project - dedicated to connecting people worldwide with the wildlife in their community -
Have a great day!